Bioventus is an orthobiologics company that delivers clinically proven, cost-effective products that help patients heal quickly and safely. The company’s innovative offerings include market-leading devices, therapies and diagnostics that make it a global leader in active orthopaedic healing. The company’s products include the EXOGEN® Ultrasound Bone Healing System, and hyaluronic acid joint fluid therapy products, SUPARTZ® and DUROLANE®, which treat the symptoms of osteoarthritis. These innovative products provide clinical benefits to patients and cost savings to payers by delaying or eliminating the need for knee surgery. In the case of bone stimulation, expensive follow-on procedures for bone fractures which do not heal are avoided. Headquartered in Durham, N.C., Bioventus has approximately 500 employees and works with customers throughout the world.
- In 2012, Essex Woodlands led an investor group to spin-out the Clinical Therapies division of Smith & Nephew and acquire a controlling stake in the newly created company, Bioventus.
- Essex Woodlands, along with its equity partners, owns 51% of the business, with Smith & Nephew retaining a 49% equity stake in the company.
- Company generated cash flow to fund three acquisitions since original investment
- EW provided follow-on financing in November 2015 to help fund acquisition of Biostructures - synthetic bone graft substitute products
- Well-positioned to either IPO or exit via trade sale to a large strategic